There often occurs an increase in the pressure of eye in eye conditions like ocular hypertension and open-angle glaucoma. These conditions result in damage of an eye or even blindness. No need to worry now, we present before you Xalacom or Latim eye drops. This ophthalmic preparation is a combination of Latanoprost and Timolol. Latanoprost belongs to the class of prostaglandin analogs while Timolol is a potent beta blocker. When both these medication work together, they lower your eye pressure.
Active working of Latim eye drops:
Latanoprost is a prostaglandin receptor agonist and exerts its action by elevating the outflow of aqueous humor from the eye and in this way lowers eye pressure. Timolol is a beta blocker which acts by blocking the beta adrenergic receptors, as a result helps in lowering the excessive production of fluid in the eye.
Contraindications of Xalacom or Latim eye drops:
· Never apply Latim eye drops in case you are hypersensitive to Latanoprost and Timolol or any other ingredients in it.
· Avoid the use of this eye drop if you have heart disorder or a respiratory problem.
· Xalacom eye drops (Latanoprost + Timolol) must not be used in case of pregnancy or breastfeeding.
Dosage information and Directions for use:
The suggested adult dose of Xalacom eye drop is single drop one time in the affected eye in 24 hours. Remember one thing, prior to the usage of this ophthalmic preparation you must tilt your head back and apply a single drop. Let your eyes closed for some time. Apply pressure in the corner of eye for 1 to 2 minutes. Any solution which is in excess must be blotted out with tissue paper.
Some after-effects that you may monitor after application of Latanoprost and Timolol eye drop include eye irritation, blurred vision, light sensitivity, redness or dryness of the eye, inflammation of eyelids, eye pain, burning and irritation in the eye.
Warnings and safety measures to be followed while using Latim eye drops:
· Do not forget to wash your hands prior to and after its use.
· Do not touch the tip of the medication bottle as it causes contamination of the drug.
· It is suggested to share your medical history to physician such as any allergic reactions, coronary heart disease, breathing problem, blurred vision, diabetes, eye surgery.
· Avoid the use of any other ophthalmic preparation along with Latim eye drops; always maintain a gap of 5 minutes between two medications.
· Take out your contact lenses before the application of Xalacom eye drops.